France midfield star N’Golo Kante will miss the World Cup after being ruled out for four months

N’Golo Kante ruled out for FOUR MONTHS after hamstring surgery that will see him miss the World Cup…and put his Chelsea future in the spotlight

  • France midfielder N’Golo Kante will miss the 2022 World Cup due to injury
  • Kante was injured in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham on August 14
  • The Blues have confirmed the midfielder has been ruled out for four months

France and chelsea Midfielder N’Golo Kante has been ruled out of the World Cup after undergoing hamstring surgery which will see him out for four months.

The 31-year-old picked up the injury in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham back on August 14 had slowly rebuilt its way to full fitness ever since.

Kante, however, suffered a huge setback after aggravating the injury during a training session last week and has since undergone surgery.

This means he will now miss next month’s World Cup and is expected to be out until the end of February. The news casts a shadow over the midfielder’s future with his contract at Chelsea expiring this summer and no agreement on a new deal yet to be agreed.

N’Golo Kante (pictured) has been ruled out of the World Cup after undergoing surgery

The 31-year-old picked up the injury in Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Tottenham on August 14.

The 31-year-old picked up the injury in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham on August 14.

A statement from Chelsea said: “N’Golo Kante has undergone surgery for his hamstring injury.

“The midfielder visited a specialist from the club’s medical service to explore options for his rehabilitation approach and it was mutually agreed that N’Golo would undergo surgery to repair the damage.

“After a successful operation, N’Golo is now expected to be sidelined for four months.”

Chelsea confirmed in a statement that the Frenchman will miss four months after his operation

Chelsea confirmed in a statement that the Frenchman will miss four months after his operation

The decision to undergo surgery came after Chelsea boss Graham Potter, who has been unable to call on Kante since taking over at Stamford Bridge, admitted last week that there were concerns at long term regarding the midfielder’s fitness record – he’s missed 57 games since the 2019 Europa League Final.

“Historically, there are things that have happened that are concerning, and we need to understand that,” Potter said.

“It’s a setback in the final stage of his rehab, so again, it’s worrying. But all we can do is get the right diagnosis, the right consultation, and then try to help him get back to full fitness and enjoying his football.

Kante, whose contract at Chelsea expires next summer, has 53 caps for France and was part of their World Cup-winning squad in 2018.

Confirmation of Kante’s diagnosis comes two days after Chelsea team-mate and England right-back Reece James was ruled out for up to eight weeks with a knee problem, meaning he is also at risk of missing the Cup of the world which will begin in Qatar on November 20.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.